WELCOME TO EDUCATION RECYCLE



Welcome and please read on...if you have anything that you would like to write about that is related to education then please I would love to hear from you and maybe you can Guest Blog for us - e mail me at emily.jones@educationrecycle.net

If you are a business which is related to children or education and you would like free advertising then please e mail me at admin@educationrecycle.net and we can add you to our site.

Please, if you have any educational items that you would like to donate to our site - please sign up today and start giving or selling your items to your local community - visit www.educationrecycle.net today - IT IS ALL FREE TO USE !


Thursday 19 July 2012

Salèha “Saze” Pinhorn Creator of CanSpeakFrench - French tutoring and coaching for adults and children.


Salèha “Saze” Pinhorn

Creator of CanSpeakFrench - French tutoring and coaching for adults and children.


I was born in Paris and I spent all my student years in the City of Light
and after finishing my studies at the University Paris V, I decided to
move to the UK to learn English - and what a better way to learn and
assimilate than interacting with people who actually speak the language!
Although I am a fan of the British accent, which I would love to be able
to copy, I still have my French accent or shall I say my Parisian accent!

Now a few years down the line, I am married to an Austro-British man
and in 2009 my son Enzo came into our lives. I started CanSpeakFrench
in 2008 a French coaching and tutoring service allowing practice and
consolidation of the knowledge of the french language, for both children
and adults. Now I am launching "Dessine-moi un mouton" which focuses
on providing an introduction to the french language for young children but also an opportunity to progress in
the language as they grow. Conversation French for adults is also available.
My professional background is rather varied, from tour planning (tourism), to professional translation &
proof reading, via event planner & organiser (I own my company) to french coaching and tutoring and I
might forget some.
I now live in Marlborough where I first find love, with my husband Michael and children Laurence (17),
James (13) and Enzo (2
 


Bringing up my son bilingual? Yes!
which still uses it’s own dialect), and I always regret that I didn’t get the chance to learn the language as I
grew up, unfortunatly in France which is monolingual country they did not support bilingualism at the time
and parents (with a ‘non-important’ language) were advised to focus on french. So with Enzo it will be
different, I only speak to him in french, and we have french story books, CDs and DVDs. Even though he is
only 2
still his dominant language, and I struggle sometimes but I think he will be able to speak both languages well
as he grows up.
Research shows that six months to four years is the optimal age to acquire a second language as they are at
their most receptive to learning languages
Children who receive early intensive exposure to two languages can quickly and almost effortlessly acquire
both languages simultaneously. At a young age, children can grasp a new language in the same way as they
acquire their first language and won't translate from their first language, as do older children.
I am very keen that Enzo should have the gift of second language. My family is from Algeria (from a tribe½ he has started talking to me using full sentences in french which I am really happy with. English is


Helping families bring their children bilingually!
This isn’t just about teaching a language, it is also creating a network for parents to find support. Raising a
child with two languages is not easy! There is some opposition out there, telling you all about the
disadvantages of doing so, you can come across a lot of misconception. Teaching your child a second
language won’t confuse them unless they have a language disability. Do not be concerned if your child mixes
two languages while in the process of learning a second language, that is to be expected.
So I have created a group on LinkedIn, a social networking group for French bilingual families living
abroad. This is a support group to help you raise your children bilingually.
The group will provide recommendations, tips and ideas to help you and to talk about your experiences and
problems. (Linkedin
CanSpeakFrench - French bilingual/bicultural families)

What is Dessine-moi un Mouton?

'Dessin-moi un mouton' is a direct reference to a well-known scene in
French children's book Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry.
But also a reference to a song recorded by Mylène Farmer (French
singer and song writer):

"Dessine-moi un mouton
Draw me a sheep,
Le ciel est vide sans imagination
imagination
The sky is empty without
C'est ça
That's it,
Dessine-moi un mouton
Draw me a sheep,
Redevenir l'enfant que nous étions
Become again the child we once were,
Dessine-moi un mouton"
Draw me a sheep,

What gave me the idea for CanSpeakFrench?

I have started this new venture following the failure of my previous project, I was really down but thanks to
the support I received from my husband, I am back on my feet doing something I am rather passionate about.
The original idea grow with my son, as I am facing challenges to bring him bilingually I realised that I was
probably not the only one in the is situation. And ‘Le Goûter club’ was born, it was to create ‘une petite
France’ a little France in Marlborough, where french people could meet with their children somewhere
french would only be spoken.
'
Le goûter club' language immersion, open to children with their parents/carers. This is a group where only
fr
language
ench will be spoken. Ideal to meet francophone and ideal for French children to be immersed in their. Including a 'goûter'.

After thinking carefully about the new venture and talking to some of my friends, it just was obvious to
create a group for non-French who would be interested in introducing a new language to their child, My
French French Rhymes and the after school classes were born.

'
My First French Rhymes' for babies and toddlers, the younger children are the easier it is for them to
assimila
te a new language using nursery rhymes, so join in the fun!

Children in this country often don’t learn a language until they go to secondary school. I thought it would be
a good idea to set up group sessions where they could get a head start by learning the basics in a fun and
friendly atmosphere. I have groups for under 5s and 5-11s and 11+. I think it will be a good way for people
to meet each other, and intend to continue through the school holidays. (Most parent/toddler groups only run
during term time)

'
After school club' two groups open to children with little or no previous experience in french and to children
w
ith previous experience in French. (including activity sheets/books)

This is not just a class!
There is a free online resource and a forum to help you parents every step of the way, to parents who are
asking themselves, what can they do to help if they don't have any knowledge of the language or feel that
they don’t know enough?
This page will allow parents to ask questions online, and get advice and tips plus some free online resources
for parents to download. Such as ‘Listen and Repeat’ with recorded sentences, will also be available online.

Just for fun:
The question I always been asked is now I’ve lived in the UK a while now - do I think in English? And the
answer is: “To be honest, not very often. Although sometimes I have dreams in English! And I wake up
thinking how weird was that”

For more information please contact:
Salèha “Saze” Pinhorn
CanSpeakFrench
07515 893 352
csf@canspeakfrench.co.uk
www.canspeakfrench.co.uk
facebook
https://www.facebook.com/CanSpeakFrench
Twitter @CanSpeakFrench
Linkedin
CanSpeakFrench - French bilingual/bicultural families

How did I start teaching French?

I was working for a tour operator called Abercrombie and Kent, they relocated the office to Cheltenham, and
the commute from where I was living at he time became too much on top of the long hours, so I resigned in
2008. Not long after, I became pregnant, so I was looking for something that would work with a family, and
keep me active while waiting from my first baby to arrive. I started tutoring, mostly school children at GCSE
and A level. I did have a client that was moving to one of the former French colonies in Asia where they
speak french, I had 8 weeks to teach her french to a reasonable standard. She worked really hard, we met for
an hour every day and she did lots of homework, and when the time was up she had a good grasp of the
language and she started reading Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry. That was a good challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment